– Prior to Caerphilly Tennis Club being established at our current site of Virginia Park Caerphilly, there was a group of tennis players who bounced around from courts to courts, including Abertridwr and St Martins School.
– Then in 1988, Keith Phillips and Len Williams broke ground in Virginia Park to give these players a permanent home.
– The Club quickly grew and even produced some Welsh champions through the 90s.
– The early 2000s saw all 6 courts being resurfaced and floodlighting being installed on the back courts.
– The Club hit some hard times around 2010 as the volunteer pool dried up and our Head Coach at the time leaving which led to activities and numbers dwindling.
– A core group of volunteers took it upon themselves to keep the Club from folding due to a poor financial position, while the appointment of a part-time Head Coach also helped stop the decline in playing numbers.
– Current Head Coach Jonathan Morgan was formally announced in 2014, having been assistant coach and acting lead coach for several years.
– The Club celebrate it’s 25th anniversary in 2014/15.
– In 2016, an ambitious Club Development Project was revealed as the committee looked to transform both the courts and clubhouse to solidify the Club’s future. These works were completed in 2017 and the Club managed to secure a visit from Judy Murray to officially reopen the newly repainted courts and refurbished clubhouse!
– Playing numbers and activities on offer continued to soar in 2018 to heights not seen since the 90s, and this led to CTC being named Tennis Wales Club of the Year 2018 for the first time in it’s 30 year history! Following this, the Club also made the top 3 in the UK-wide Club of the Year category at the LTA Awards 2019!
– There have been plenty of ups and downs in the relatively short history of CTC, but we are excited for the coming years and hope you will join us.